It has been announced that former Italian national team star Alessandro Nesta will be making his international debut against Italy in their opening game of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers.
Nesta, who had a sensational World Cup debut against Chile in November 2018, had been expected to be called up to the national team ahead of his return from injury.
However, Italy’s coach Massimiliano Allegri said on Monday that Nesta would not be involved in the World Cup qualifier against France in Porto.
Allegri told reporters that the player was “a big player, but it’s the decision of the team”.
“We’ve always said that we will not be signing a player who doesn’t deserve to play, but there is no doubt that Alessandro is a player with talent and I believe that the players will be there to support him.
He has been a real hero for Italy and for this tournament,” Allegri added.”
He has been part of Italy’s squad, but he is now in the middle of a World Cup, and it’s not right for him to leave Italy.
It is important that he is able to concentrate on the national squad.”
Nesta joined Juventus in 2011, and scored four goals in 32 appearances for the Turin giants before moving to Real Madrid for €70 million in 2015.